Thursday, January 5, 2012

My New Year's Resolution...

...was going to be an extension of last year's "buy nothing new" year, like only buying from stores that sell fair-trade goods, or stores that don't support human trafficking... but I think that may require too much research; more than I'm capable of undertaking at this moment. I would like to continue to learn about these issues and contribute slowly, but I'm not sure I can make a full commitment.

Rather, this year, I want to focus once again on my mantra, or "My Symphony":

To live content with small means,
To seek elegance rather than luxury,
and refinement rather than fashion
To be worthy not respectable,
and wealthy not rich
To study hard, think quietly, talk gently
act frankly, to listen to stars, birds, babes
and sages with open heart, to bear all cheerfully,
do all bravely, await occasions, never hurry.
In a word, to let the spiritual,
unbidden and unconscious,
grow up through the common.
This is to be my symphony.

By William Ellery Channing, written in 1890

I think I will take this poem a line or two at a time this year.
My goal--to live it more fully instead of just admiring it as a noble goal.

1 comment: